Thank you to Dana Rae Photography (Ventura) for providing the pictures
Our congregation is blessed with a beautiful and historic home. We know a church is not a building, it's the people who worship in it. Yet the story of our building is intertwined with the story of our people and our community.
Our building, nurtured by our people through generations, has been a building of significance to the community and congregation. Marriages and funerals, Christmas cantatas and musical performances, meetings and prayer vigils, weekend spiritual retreats and community dinners, worship and church services - all have been and continue to be hosted by this marvelous building.
The building is beautiful, featuring incredible stained glass, a classic and powerful organ, and a sanctuary which draws your eyes up to heaven. And we love to share with our community.
Our congregation was founded in 1890, about the time Lewistown was established. The names of the charter members reflect the founding
families of the town, and the new congregation grew through three temporary homes in its early years.
In 1912, the cornerstone of the current church building was laid, a piece of sandstone quarried nearby and shaped by skilled Croatian stonemasons whose work can be found today in buildings around town.
The founders invested in impressive stained glass windows from Belgium which - combined with its sandstone - gives the building a unique and
Through the following decades, there were ongoing improvements and renovations which reflected evolving worship and congregational needs.
No matter the economic and social challenges faced by the community, local Presbyterians found a way to make needed changes and updates to the church building.
In 1965, an education and administrative addition was dedicated and in the past 50 years, renovations of various parts of the building continued. In recent years, major efforts have completely remodeled the sanctuary, installed an elevator for handicapped access, renovated and protected for the next 100 years the stained glass windows, and remodeled rooms in the education addition.
Currently a major remodel of the fellowship kitchen area is underway with plans to extend the work into the fellowship area.
Our beautiful, historic building gives us much joy, but it presents an ongoing financial and work challenge. The amazing thing is how - in addition to funding the operational cost of the church - our congregationhas raised additional funds and often donated needed labor for renovation and improvement projects. And that generosity continues to this day.
We are proud of our church building, but it is the people who make acongregation. And our people continue to work so that they and our building can serve our community, our congregation and our Lord for another century.